Adopting a renewable energy source is a great idea as it benefits you in many ways. Furthermore, when you are getting solar panels system to your home, you should be aware of the types of mount racking systems. However, a strong foundation is important for installing solar panels and so, you should choose the best among the two types: roof mounting or ground mounting. When you install solar panels system, various forces will be involved in its mount racking such as the weight of solar panels, wind, rain, the dirt precipitating on its top, or seismic loads. Thus, you need to install the proper mounting system as it offers structural strength to withstand these forces. It provides maximum support for the system in place so that it can deliver maximum power output.
Furthermore, among the two mounting types available, you can choose the better option based on multiple factors. They include your budget, location, local requirements, space, and your preferences. Now, let’s get into the detailed information about mounting types and finalize which is a better technique.
Roof Mounting: –
Being renowned as the most common method for installing solar panels, your home rooftop acts as base support. Furthermore, most of the city dwellers prefer this type of option.
However, in order to attach the panel to the roof, you should install a rail system or a series of flashings. Thus, you can use various configurations for rooftop solar panels system installation that include a flat roof, railed, shared-rail, and rail-less. Therefore, one can choose the best suitable configuration that meets the needs of your roof for solar panel installation. Furthermore, among the different types of rooftop mounting configurations, the shared-rail configuration is considered to be the best and cost-effective.
Ground Mounting: –
In this ground mounting system, you need to excavate an area for the installation of the mounting structure and thus, this structure is used to support solar panels. Furthermore, you also need to build trenches that can help you to carry connecting wires from the system to the building. However, these ground-mounted solar panel are mostly used in the commercial sector due to the high amount of power being produced. In addition, if the residential buildings have enough space for ground mounting solar panels installation, then they can also benefit from them.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Rooftop Mount and Ground Mount Racking Based on Some Factors: –
Rooftop Mounting: –
- Costs: – Rooftop mounting solar panel system installation is cheaper than ground mounting as it does not require any infrastructure to excavate an area. This is renowned as the most common type of mounting structure and thus, it is faster and easy to install. Furthermore, in this type of mounting, the condition of your roof plays an important role, and also, it helps in determining the cost of solar panel installation. Therefore, your roof should be well-maintained and must last for at least 20 years without any damage issues for the installation of roof-mounted arrays. However, if your roof-top gets damaged in 10 years, then you should repair it during the life of solar panels. Such uninstalling and reinstalling solar panels may get arduous, complicated, and can cost you more along with the repairing cost of your roof. Thus, if you have an older roof, then it is advisable to get it repaired first or look for another option.
- Space: – The size of the solar panel system depends on the amount of power you want to generate for your home application needs. Thus, it is better to limit the size of the system and preserve your property’s usable space.
- Aesthetics: – Though the roof-mounted solar system is less visible, it depends on the position of your house. Furthermore, you can choose the roof tiles to install the modern solar panels as they will not interfere with home aesthetics.
- Positioning: – When you are installing solar panels array on your roof, there will be limiting factors such as angle, type of roofing, and direction. There might be some obstructions like trees, chimneys, skylights, and buildings as they can cast a shadow on the solar panels. However, this can limit the overall production of the solar panel system. For example, asphalt rood with a gentle pitch is treated as an ideal one while a slate roof with a steep descent is not preferable.
- Maintenance: – The maintenance of your rooftop solar panels will be more difficult as every time, you need to climb the roof. This might also not guarantee safety for you. In addition, even the solar panels installation companies will come across rooftop safety risks while doing their job. So, it is always necessary to call a professional for your solar panel maintenance work.
Ground Mounting: –
- Costs: – Solar panel system ground mounting is costly due to the requirement of extra materials. In addition, the installation required huge labor support and takes more time. Furthermore, in order to lift the solar panels array off the ground, it requires a reinforced pole structure along with the cement foundation. They should be installed at an appropriate tilt angle and must be wired to your home which significantly, costs you more.
- Space: – Ground-mounted solar panel system does not bound by the size limit and thus, a larger solar system can be installed in a lot of unused space. This can enable the solar panels system owner to generate more power and save your electricity bills for a long time. However, if you have limited space, then it can be an issue to install the solar panel system as the ground-mounted solar panels system requires more space when compared to the roof-mounted solar panels system.
- Aesthetics: – You can install ground mounting solar panels just a few inches or a couple of feet away from the ground. So, if you install this mounting system on your property, they can be more visible as compared to that on a rooftop.
- Positioning: – In-ground mounting, the solar panel system can be easily oriented in the appropriate direction while installing. Here, there will be no obstructions like rooftop solar panels system mounting. However, in order to generate efficient power, you should make sure that the solar panels are installed at the right angle and in the right direction. Furthermore, most of the ground-based solar panels have solar tracking systems as they can tilt according to the sun’s position. Thus, this helps in enhancing the efficiency of your solar panel system.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: – In-ground mounting, the solar panel system is just above a few inches or a couple of feet away from the ground. However, even if the solar panels do not require a lot of maintenance, you can easily clear or repair them at certain intervals of time.
Nowadays, solar panel systems are installed by most homeowners as they are available at effective prices and thus, helps you in reducing your utility bills. Furthermore, when you are installing solar panels system, you can choose rooftop mounting or ground mounting that is most appropriate for you based on your needs.